Thursday, April 29, 2010

What does it mean to be a teacher?

I experienced K-12 in US schools. My mom was a great extracurricular teacher at home when I was a kid. I also went to college and grad school in the US system. My view of what a teacher is is influenced by all my educational experiences. I remember when I was in Spain, I really hated a lot of the classes I had because they were mostly lecture and I never got to know the teachers. I rarely spoke to them during or after classes. To me a teacher wants to empower students to succeed like all of my teachers did.

Right now I am teaching in a country with a very developed tiered system (heirarchy). In this system, the chief is always right and no matter how ridiculous the mandates, those under the chief must do as he or she says. What also happens is that things don’t happen unless the chief pushes people to act.

This has facinating implications for the classroom which, in my opinion, includes teachers empowering students. It seems really difficult for teachers to make their students too good, because that would mean the students would be better than the teachers are, better than the “chief.” Teachers can’t admit that they were wrong, or are challenged by something. I am forever wrong, and am always learning.

What a culture clash! I gotta write this better so I can apply for that Phd already.

No comments:

Post a Comment