Monday, March 1, 2010

ANELTA conference in Luanda in the press

So, ANELTA, the Angolan English Language Teaching Association, is having a conference this Wednesday through Friday and I am going to present about World Englishes as well as Using Visual Aids to motivate students to speak in the classroom. I am excited about getting to know some Angolan teachers of English. I already talked to some people involved and similar to how it went during the conference I planned in Mozambique, they are having trouble getting Angolan presenters. As of right now there are only a few but the majority are foreigners. I think there will be someone from the British Council, International House in Cape Town, and myself. In Mozambique it really took some prodding and getting people to rethink that it means to present. Conferences can be opportunities to share knowledge, get new ideas to adapt, or just show what you are doing and get some feedback. Presenting, at least to me, doesn't mean you must have a bibliography or theories to support your ideas. That is just one aspect of presenting. If Mozambique waits to have true, well supported academic presentations, they will be waiting for a long time. Angola has so many teachers of English, what it is that is preventing them from sharing with other teachers? Intellectuals can discuss in private. I want to hear how teachers in classrooms are struggling or striving.

No comments:

Post a Comment